Breathwork isn’t just woohoo spiritual stuff. Scientific research has been to show it can help you heal—physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Breathwork is for everyone!
If you have a specific goal you are trying to achieve, like reduced stress, increased energy, better focus, a breathwork healing session can help. That’s why I believe so much in this medicine.
5 Scientific Health Benefits of Breathwork
1) Breathwork Activates the Vagus Nerve
When you do breathwork, you activate the vagus nerve, activating the parasympathetic nervous system. Activating the vagus nerve puts you into a state of calm, peace, and focus.
As well, when you switch from the sympathetic nervous system (the day-in-day-out beta brainwave state) to the parasympathetic nervous system, your move into an optimal state for the immune system to natural heal the body.
2) Breathwork Establishes Heart-Mind Coherence
When you’re in that calm and focused state, you create heart-mind coherence. Heart-mind coherence establishes a state of calm that is easier for focus when going into meditation.
Creating union between the heart and mind through awareness cultivation techniques creates stillness and harmony throughout your physical, emotional, and energetic body.
3) Breathwork Triggers Stem Cell Healing
Once in a state of calm, you activate the pineal gland in the brain. In this state, the brain sends out healing chemical and electrical signals through the vagus nerve to the rest of the organs in the body. As well, it triggers healing in stem cells in the body to activate physical and emotional healing.
4) Additional Health Benefits of Breathwork
Through Pranayama rhythmic breathing and deep kumbhaka breath retentions, you can charge your electrical, creative, life force energy and move it up through the body for healing and transformation.
Physical Health Benefits of Breathwork Include:
- Breathing problems such as asthma
- Sleep disorders such as sleep apnea
- Anxiety, stress, or depression
- Grief, anger, or resentment
- Loss of direction, purpose, or intention
- Inspiration, motivation, or creativity
- Or, just create an experience of inner bliss!
5) It Turns Out, the Ancient “Esoteric” Breathing Techniques are the Scientific Health Benefits Behind Breathwork!
During breathwork, you’ll use Pranayama rhythmic breathing and kumbhaka breath retentions to increase your energy and help you focus on the good feelings necessary to manifest your intention positively:
- Ancient wisdom traditions have always known that deep breathing techniques increase energy, health, and well-being in minutes.
- Intermittent Hypoxic Training (IHT): A medically approved therapy with instantaneous health benefits.
- Studies at the HeartMath Institute have shown that you create heart-mind coherence when you do deep breathing exercises. By creating heart-mind coherence, you can feel more confident, focused, positive, and motivated.
Why I Believe in the Power of Breathwork
After receiving this powerful medicine from Mariposa at Respira Tu Amor, I felt the call to be in service through breathwork. During the lockdown, I decided to get certified in SOMA Breath. It’s been over a year since I got certified, and since then, I have had the honor of facilitating and holding space for others as they have experienced their own inner medicine.
Breathwork has taught me that we are our own medicine, inner pharmacy, and healing shaman. I already believed in the “esoteric idea” that each of us creates our reality from our thoughts, feelings, and emotions. The more I’ve researched and learned, I have come to understand why.
Connecting the dots between the metaphysical, esoteric side and learning to understand it from the physiological, science side, breathwork has shown me that, indeed, we are our own medicine, and we do create our reality! Therefore, we might as well create and live a life we love—it’s our birthright!
Ready to Start a Spiritual Healing Journey?
Spiritual Life Coaching is a transformational healing journey of breathwork, coaching and meditation to help you create a life you love. Start Your Journey Now »
Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below. But, be respectful. If you do not have something to positively adding value to the conversation and helping empower others, please keep any negative or thoughtless opinions to yourself. Have the courage to share your truth—it’s more cathartic than you might think.